Shoes, Dresses, Jewelery & More

Here we go..

March 1, 2011

Damn Darjeeling is in India. (Gasp)



Here is the place I call home. And I refuse to call it anything else but DARJEELING.

Sad to say but we as Nepalese here in India have to suffer quite regularly. We are often looked down on and some people have this predetermined idea that all Nepalese belong to the loose bandwagon. It hurts and sometimes infuriates me when people ask where I am from and when I reply from “Darjeeling”. Then they ask a question and answer themselves “Where are you from? From Nepal?” There is a question and a statement all at once, which as an English Major student is not only wrong from all angles but such a disgrace really. Disgrace to the Indian education system. Don’t you know where Darjeeling is? Didn’t you study about Darjeeling in your Geography classes? Don’t you know what Darjeeling is famous for? Hell, don’t you know where Darjeeling is. I mean really it’s really frustrating. And when I tell them that it is West Bengal, they question my intelligence by asking “Are you sure?” When I hear that all I want to do is give them a big slap across their ignorant face.
Well, no offense but that was the only title that I could think about, at the risk of sounding racist. A little bit of information about me: I have an Indian Passport. :D
I have one petition: If not geography of the entire world, at least learn about your own country.
Here is a little preview about Darjeeling. It was previously called Dorje ling. Darjeeling is a quaint little town in West Bengal at an elevation of approximately 6,710 ft. Since I grew up in this beautiful town, the best thing about it is that almost every house has a view of the Himalayan Range. You will never know how it feels to wake up early in the morning, open the window and see the formidable yet picturesque Himalayas right before you.
It’s known for its superior quality tea. Its mountain is dotted with tea bushes everywhere you go. And to escape the innumerable tea stalls is almost impossible. The there is the Darjeeling Toy train which has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. There are various places to visit, there are various flavors to taste and there are various colors to see. Recently though my beautiful hometown has been torn apart for the want of Gorkhaland. Last time I went home I felt like its lost its charm, what with so many deaths and strikes, however it’s not lost its soul. The people are still happy go lucky, their hearts are still bigger than their bank balance and the bank balance is but a number for them. They still take pleasure in sitting in Chowrasta and sipping on the cheapest tea and coffee available. This is the land I call home. And yes it’s very much in India. I Be Proud. You Be Proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment