Shoes, Dresses, Jewelery & More

Here we go..

March 7, 2011

Proud to Know Prabal Gurung




Well I don’t know him personally but I guess just knowing that a fellow Nepali has made it so big does make oneself swell with pride. Honestly I had not heard of him until my dear Shreya told me about him. Prabal was Born in Singapore and raised in Kathmandu, Nepal. He later started studying in India’s National Institute of Fashion Management and interned at various production and fashion houses. Having travelled the expanse of Australia to London he has acquired a truly universal and global sense of fashion. It’s a small wonder that we including the elite class of the west are flocking to him.
Finally he settled with New York and started interning with Donna Karen while studying at Parson’s School of Design. AT the annual Parson’s /FIT design competition he was awarded the “Best Designer”. After finishing at Parson’s he worked with Cynthia Rowley and gained much knowledge. After that he was working as the Director at Bill Blass for five years. Finally (Thank God!) he left Bill Blass to venture out on his own, as a designer. He launched his own collection called Prabal Gurung.
Having been a person of humble beginnings the heights that he has already scaled are worthy of an applaud. His clients list include Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Demi More, Zoe Saldana and more.
I am in total awe of this person and personally for me, he has become an idol. Because there are not many from the Nepali Community that tread in this untrodden road. Since I too have this love of fashion, I wanna make it big too. There may be a difference in writing about fashion and making fashion but if the passion is there, and then I believe I can create magic every time I pick up my pen.
So here is to our fellow Nepalese, to parents, to globalization, to passion, to friends. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment